Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Rams Working on Contract Extension For Bulger

By Bill Coats
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
05/26/2007
During the 2006 season, the Rams plunked down about $45 million in contract extension funds to keep defensive end Leonard Little and linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa off the market as unrestricted free agents.

This year's top priority is quarterback Marc Bulger. He's entering the final season of a four-year, $19.1 million deal he signed in May 2004. He's also coming off his best season in four full years as the Rams' starter.

Bulger, 30, said he tries "to stay out of that stuff" when it comes to contract talks. But, he added, "I'd love to finish my career here. ...

"I know we're really, really close to getting something done, and I want to be a part of it."
Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, said he was still working on an extension for Bulger. As for forecasting a timetable for an agreement, Zygmunt said, "As far as we're concerned, the sooner the better."

Bulger echoed that sentiment. "I know when I got my first deal, it was definitely comfortable to know that, 'OK, I'm going to be here at least for so long,'" he said. "I think they want to keep the core group together, and they've done a good job of that. Hopefully, I'm in those plans."

Coach Scott Linehan made it clear that Bulger was when he called re-signing him a "no-brainer."

Holt works out

Wide receiver Torry Holt, recovering from offseason knee surgery, jogged through a few routes and even joined his teammates for sprints — albeit at about half-speed — after Thursday's workout at Rams Park. Holt said his knee was "feeling pretty good ... it's coming along."
Still, Linehan said he wants Holt to be cautious about pushing himself.

"He made a big commitment; he missed the Pro Bowl because he wanted to accelerate his rehab," Linehan noted. "He's at a point in his career where we've got to manage it and make sure he's able to finish a long, grueling season."

No comments: